Monday, December 15, 2014

Hands


So often taken for granted, yet so vital to nearly everything we do. I have used and abused mine so much through the years. My hands look like the hands of an 80 year old woman. I could never have made it as a hand model- even when I was young. I have always had short, stubby fingers and terribly thin, bendy nails that don't grow... But nevertheless, they are my hands, and they have served me well. With these hands I have colored, cut, written, sewn, knitted, crocheted, embroidered, crafted, beaded, used a cash register, spent countless hours on a keyboard, prepared meals, taken care of myself, taken care of the sick, taken care of my babies, taken care of 1000's of other people's babies, and countless other important (and totally mundane) things.

These past few years, and particularly this past year, my hands have been slowly wearing out. I have arthritis in both thumbs, a trigger thumb for which I had surgery in August, and now carpal tunnel syndrome in both hands. I had surgery on my right hand in November, and I am just waiting for the symptoms to tell me that it's time to have the left hand fixed as well.

I have had to make a few changes. For one, I can no longer make jewelry. Holding tools and bending wire is nearly impossible at this point. I do still knit and do paper crafts (thanks goodness!), but for short periods of time. Another really big change is that I recently retired from staff nursing at the hospital. I knew I was going to be having 2 hand surgeries, with another on the horizon. Putting on and taking off gloves was becoming increasingly more painful, as were many other tasks. (I struggled to change newborn t-shirts- a task I probably could have won a race doing in my younger nursing years!) I have to be honest here though, I was THRILLED to retire from staff nursing. NO more long 12 hour shifts on my feet with no lunch or bathroom break for this girl!

The picture is my post surgery hand. (I hope it's not too graphic.) I decided to add a nice healing blue border to the picture. I am grateful that it is healing nicely and that I am once again able to do most of the crafts that I love. I am so grateful for my hands, and I no longer take for granted all that they allow me to do.

I hope this inspires you today- to take a loving look at your hands, and say a little thank you prayer!

1 comment:

becky f. said...

Linda- this is beautifully written. I'm so glad you are doing better. xox B